Our Sweet Baby Boy

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Doulahood... here I come!!!

I'm not sure how much I have posted about my journey to become a birth doula so here is some info on it.


If you don't know what a birth doula is you can start here - www.dona.org Short version though - A doula is a labor support person. A doula gives informational, emotional, and physical support to a woman before, during, and after labor and delivery.

I decided to become a birth doula after hiring a doula for my labor and deliver with Cooper. Jenny was absolutely fabulous and invaluable to me during my pregnancy and delivery... and even post partum! We have become great friends in life and still talk and see each other often. You truly do form a lifelong bond with your doula.

I started my journy to become a doula in January. I had my DONA certification packet on my birthday wish list and that is what my wonderful husband got me. Since then I have done all of my reading (actually had most of it done before I started because I read the books when I was pregnant), I have taken a 12 week Bradley Child Birth Class (from my doula Jenny actually!!!), and am getting ready to take my 2 days training next weekend. I was going to take the training in June but wasn't able to because Paul had to go out of town for work.

I am extremely excited about my training next weekend and can't wait for it to start. But at the same time I'm sad about it. I will be staying in a hotel for 2 night... away from my baby. This is the first time I'll be away from Cooper longer then 6-7 hours. I'm very nervous about being away from him. I know he will be in great hands with Dad but I just worry about how I'm going to handle being away from him. Maybe I'll get some sleep!!! lol

Tonight I am going to a tea shop with some fellow doula friends (my doula included) to talk doula stuff with them. It should be fun!

1 comments:

Kristen's Raw said...

YAY for doulas!

Cheers,
Kristen

Layout